I hate New Year's resolutions, because I have never met anyone who has successfully kept to a single thing they set out to do for the entire year. I have seen lots of people make it up through May, but then they just seem to "take a break" for the summer and then just let it die out as winter looms closer. So instead of being resolute with my decision-making for the next 365 days (366? Is it a Leap Year? Not sure and I can't be bothered to check a calendar...) during the wee hours of the new year, I make lists of lots of things I would like to see or do. Some lists are important things and I take them seriously (for instance, last year I included "get new car" because our old one was terrifyingly old. We did end up replacing it - funny story, but I'll save that for another time...) Other lists are more fun. Something that's been on my long-term goal list every year, that I always fail, is to find a nickname that sticks. So far in my life, I have had one nickname, and now it's obsolete because I changed my name when I got married. So the search continues.
But I thought it would be fun (and interesting) to see what first comes to mind for my Fun List for 2013, now that I'm home again, it's 1:30 AM and I'm feeling a little warm and fuzzy towards the new year right now (no clue why that is, and don't look at me like that. The Bailey's was like that when I got here.)
1. Finish another novel (write and do at least two edit passes)
2. Write at least 1000 words every day (work meeting notes do not apply)
3. Torment the pets more often. They could use the exercise. :) (Note to self: this means you need to save orange peels.) (Second note to self: now you have to explain that story, too. Good job.)
4. Read some of the massive library you're accumulating on GoodReads/have on hold at the local library
5. Write a review for every book you read
6. Do more puzzles
7. Learn some form of martial art (yep, it's time. Suck it up and be a beginner.)
8. Remember that book you made for Erica? Yeah...
9. Finish and hang some of your cross-stitch projects
10. Spend more time with The Hubby - And all the new Xbox games you got for Christmas have co-op!
There will be more, and things will get scratched out and reorganized, but I like to throw things down when I first think of them. One major event in that list, a bunch of things I would like to be better at and have already started work on, and reminders to spend time with and care for the things you enjoy and the people you love. I'd say not bad for a first draft.
Do you have a resolution or new year's wish? I've got a comments thread where I would love to collect more ideas!
See you in the new year - I'm off to sleep for now. Free Hugs (internet style) for all!